Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Proper Introduction



Meet The Writer (and Rider, too!)
I love the smell of freshly baled hay, the suppleness of oiled leather, and the sight of a correctly turned out horse and rider. I believe that an unlikely horse and rider can attain greatness, so long as both are willing to put forth the time, effort, and courageous dedication to overcome all obstacles. I believe that riding is both an art and a science, and that the horse is always the best teacher. I started The Dappled Bay as an opportunity to combine my passion for writing and visual arts (both of which I studied in college) with my life-long love of riding.

Meet the Horse
Samuel Adams (also known as "Sam," "Samby," or "The Great Sambini"), is a 1998 ATA registered Trakehner gelding. Born to the sound of fireworks on the 4th of July at Rolling Oaks Farm in Elgin, IL, Sam promised to have a lot of potential as a dressage superstar thanks to his incredible breeding (Butow x Simone Too by Tannenberg). He lived up to expectations, taking to his training very quickly and displaying talent for the upper level movements with a previous owner and trainer before a change in circumstances forced him to find a new home.

When I met Sam in May 2009, I found a malnourished horse that had been allowed to take advantage of his inexperienced owner and was pushy, stubborn, and downright rude. Still, there was something admirable about the horse and, even in spite of her reservations, soon I had him for my own. The first year of our relationship was a bit rocky, requiring extensive work with my trusted veterinarian and loads of independent research to bring him back up to the ideal physical condition and even more work to "reinstall" the manners that he'd lost with his previous owner.

Once Sam was cleared to get back to work, I quickly discovered that he wasn't quite cut out to be a hunter-jumper as I originally planned. Back to the drawing board on that one. A friend suggested that I attend a dressage clinic with Sam, so I took her up on the offer and we had such a great time that I made the plunge into the world of dressage and never looked back.

What Is The Dappled Bay?

The Dappled Bay is a blog dedicated to exploring the dynamic relationship between riders and their horses, and the obsession that is "the equestrian lifestyle." Written from the perspective of a young adult amateur, The Dappled Bay includes topics such as affordable horsekeeping and showing on a shoestring budget, all with the goal of getting the most out of the horse experience without breaking the bank. Of course, there are a few highlights from the author's personal riding experiences thrown in just for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment