Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!


Welcome to 2012!

I confess, I haven't made any New Year's resolutions, but I HAVE worked at setting new goals for myself and committing to lifestyle changes. It's sort of like comparing the equestrian who commits herself to give her horse a solid foundation through correct training to the one who is satisfied with taking short-cuts and leaving out steps. The rider who uses training gadgets and gizmos may see results faster, but at what price? When the gadgets are removed, will the results remain? Are there holes in the horse's training that will need to be addressed later on? For me, the answer is clear: do things right the first time, even if it takes a little longer.

Last September, I signed up with Weight Watchers and committed to changing my eating and exercise habits. It's not that I feel like I need to fit into a socially-prescribed mold -- I know that I'll probably never be a size 2 -- but the acknowledgement that a lighter, fitter me is more capable of becoming the rider that Sam deserves. I had to own the fact that, in all fairness, I should be just as fit as I'm asking him to be. So far, I've lost 12lbs, or 5% of my total weight loss goal, but I know I've still got a long way to go yet.

I also signed up with Dressage Today's New Year, New You challenge in December. Starting today, Dressage Today and SmartPak have teamed up to give riders a 31 day program to "wellness with your horse." When I first saw the challenge, I thought "This is exactly what I need when I'd really rather stay on the couch in sweatpants, wrapped up in a blanket!" If you haven't signed up already, there's still time to get on board with the program.

http://www.equisearch.com/new-year-new-you/day-1-move-it-move-it

Today's New Year, New You e-mail contains a video from Outfoxed Farm that reminds us that the first step is as simple as getting out of the house and into the barn. What are you waiting for? GO RIDE!



No comments:

Post a Comment